Sunday, February 6, 2011

The "Model" Grandma


Aunt Zip was Mom's older sister---a lot older!  In fact, she was more like a little mother to her.  I guess that's just one of the reasons Aunt Zip seemed so close to my sister and me.

Another reason was I was always told I looked like her!  Aunt Zip was from the big city of Detroit and even though she grew up a country girl, she was also a "big-city-girl".  I always loved my summer trips to spend a week with Aunt Zip and her family.

After Mom died, I became even closer to Aunt Zip.  We had our Sunday morning calls.  We would talk at 7:30 a.m. every week.  I'd tell her about my week and get her to tell me about her memories.  Sometimes she'd tease and say, "Me not know!" and then giggle.

Things I learned from Aunt Zip:
  • what a drive-in  movie was
  • how to ride a city bus
  • how to go job hunting
  • how to fold a fitted sheet
  • how to cook on a gas stove
  • how to enjoy sports at any age
  • and best of all: how to be a wonderful grandmother!
Aunt Zip died four years ago yesterday. 
I love and miss you, Aunt Zip!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment