Thursday, January 13, 2011

Techie Grandma

Last night was book club night.  We always gather at a restaurant and eat and talk and discuss the book we all read.  I sat by Amy, our youngest member.  She commented, "I am so proud of my mom.  She is now on Facebook." 

I looked at her and said, "Amy, I'm on Facebook!"

She replied, "Yes, but you are so "with it" and into technology."

That made me think...yeah, I guess I am.  Then I began to think of all the changes in my life over the years.  I remember not having a tv, only the radio.  We would gather around it and listen to our "stories".  My uncle had one of the first tv's in town since he sold electronics.  I remember going to his house to see this picture in a box.  Now, I can even run the DVD and watch all the  movies I've missed over the years.  Or do my exercises to DVD's with my own "coach" telling me what moves to make. 

I remember the telephone in our kitchen. It was big and black with a dial on the front.  If it would ring two times that meant it was for our household.  If it rang three times, it was for the neighbor.  Sometimes I would sneak in after three rings and pick it up just to see if I could catch a few phrases before Mom caught me.  Now, I have an iphone and I can text my grandson, or my sister or my best friend!  Now, I have Skype and can even see the person I am talking to on the computer.

I remember going to the library and getting a book on loan for two weeks.  Or going to a bookstore and buying the latest novel.  My house is full of more books than food!  Now, I own a Kindle...yes, I just had to have one.  I am a techie Grandma, after all.

I do Facebook.  I do Shutterfly.  And of course, I blog!!!  I LOVE being a techie Grandma!!!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment